About this Product
The Ophena Magnetic Safety Stirrup™ combines an outwardly open design with a magnetic grip. While the stirrup follows your every move when riding, it reliably releases your foot in case of a fall.
This product is covered by patents, design rights and trademarks. Learn more at ophena.com/legal
The Ophena Magnetic Safety Stirrup™ is intended only as a stirrup fixed via a stirrup leather on a saddle. It is not intended for any other use, e.g. as a step or as a magnetic tool.
About this Owner’s Guide
This owner’s guide is valid for the magnetic safety stirrups Ophena S and Ophena T.
- Read this owner’s guide carefully and follow all given advice when attaching and using the stirrups.
- When passing the product to someone else, always keep this owner’s guide together with the product.
WARNING - Risk of Pacemaker Failure from Strong Magnetic Field
The magnets in the magnetic stirrups and the magnetic insoles may affect the functioning of pacemakers and implanted heart defibrillators. A pacemaker could switch into test mode and cause illness. A heart defibrillator may stop working.
- If you wear these devices, keep a distance of at least 15 cm / 6 in to the product at all times. Do not hold the magnetic insoles closely to your chest if you wear these devices.
- Warn others who wear these devices from getting too close to the product.
CAUTION - Risk of Injuries from Strong Attractive Force
Unsafe handling could cause jamming of fingers or skin in between the stirrups or insoles as well as between the stirrups and metallic objects like metal bars. This may lead to contusions and bruises.
- Always be careful when handling the stirrups.
- When moving the stirrups, keep one in the right hand, one in the left hand.
- Do not hold the magnetic insoles directly onto the magnetic stirrups.
CAUTION - Risk of Injuries from metallic particles
The stirrup can attract metallic objects, e.g. nails. These can endanger your horse, yourself and others or could damage your boots.
- Regularly check the stirrups for metal parts and remove them if needed.
NOTICE - Risk of Damage from Strong Magnetic Field
The magnets in our stirrups are strong and produce far-reaching, strong magnetic fields. They could damage TV’s, laptops, credit cards, ATM cards, mechanical watches, hearings aids and speakers.
- Keep our magnetic safety stirrups at least 20 cm / 8 in away from devices and objects that could be damaged by strong magnetic fields.
General Safety Advice:
- Consult your doctor if you have metal implants
- When not in use, always run up the stirrups (see chapter Using the Stirrups) or remove them from the saddle.
- While riding and in the stable, be aware of the magnetic attraction of the stirrups to metallic objects, e.g. metal beams and bars, fences, cartridges of safety vests. Keep appropriate distance.
- When dismounting, keep appropriate distance to the stirrups. Make sure your clothes and riding gear don’t get caught in them.
- Do not use in combination with other magnetic riding gear.
- Do not use in combination with heating insoles or other insoles containing electronics.
- Do not unscrew the product.
- Do not leave without supervision.
- Keep away from children.
- Regularly check the two screws on the bottom of the stirrups for tightness.
- Regularly check the insoles and replace if needed.
- Keep away from saltwater.
- Let the stirrups dry after rain or when used in wet environment.
- Clean the stirrup regularly.
- Ophena does not recommend using the stirrups without the magnet insoles.
Attaching the Stirrups
Ophena’s patented double-arm architecture with Smart Attach™ locking mechanism allows you to attach and detach the stirrups quickly and safely. You only need to unbuckle the stirrup leather and not remove it completely from the saddle, saving time and preserving the leather.
Please follow the steps below:
Pass the stirrup leather buckle through the large area in the stirrup’s double arm.
Guide the stirrup leather upwards through the gap towards the small area.
Push the stirrup leather further through the gap, so it is located completely in the small area.
Buckle the stirrup leather to your saddle as usual.
Checking for proper attachment of the stirrup leather
Stirrup is attached at the outer part of the arm.
Stirrup must not be attached at the inner, broken brace.
Checking for proper orientation of the stirrups
NOTE: Ophena S shipped from June 2020 also feature a small mark at the bottom, indicating which stirrup is left and right as below:
Setting up the Insoles
Putting the Insoles into your riding boots
Do not attach the insoles directly onto the stirrups.
Avoid that the insoles get magnetically attached to each other.
- Take the magnetic insoles out of the package.
- Carefully separate the two insoles.
- Take out any existing insoles from your riding boots and replace them with your new magnetic insoles. You may add your own insoles on top of our insoles.
NOTE: The Ophena Logo print on the insole must be facing upwards, i.e. towards your feet.
Trimming the Insoles
The magnetic field attracts metallic objects like most knifes and scissors. Always be careful when cutting the insoles with metal tools.
- The insoles are made to fit most riding boots, but in case your insoles are too wide or long for your boots, you can trim them to fit with a sharp knife or scissors.
- For a test before cutting you can download printable insole shapes in actual size from here.
Using the Stirrups
When you use your new magnetic stirrups for the first time, things will feel new and different.
- Before you get on your horse, make sure the stirrups are attached properly as described in the previous chapter. Then get on your horse as usual.
- Make sure you begin slowly and take your time to get used to your new stirrups. Start in a test environment with a calm horse until you feel comfortable.
- To dismount, you may shake your foot to loosen the stirrup, or reach down to take it off by hand.
- With a bit of practice, you can also get loose by tilting your foot outwards and then lifting it in the same motion, as shown in the video below.
Running up the Ophena Stirrups
Guide the stirrup along the leather in direction of the stirrup’s open side - exactly as seen on the picture.
Guide it further upwards and apply enough tilt so the stirrup slides easily along the leather.
Carefully release the stirrup and it will lock itself against the stirrup leather.
Cleaning the Stirrups
- Clean stainless steel parts with a damp sponge or cloth and polish them with a microfiber towel, if desired.
- Remove small metal parts from the tread by dragging them to the side away from the tread’s center, where the magnetic forces are the strongest. The tread is designed flat to make this process as easy as possible. It gets easier when using a damp towel as metal debris will stick to it.
- If available, you may also use an air compressor to blow away metal debris.
My stirrups fell off while riding.
- If the stirrup is properly attached, it cannot fall off the leather band. Please ensure that the stirrups are attached as described above.
I try to run up my stirrups, but it fails.
- Please watch the video linked in the section Running up the Stirrups and follow it accurately. The stirrup must be pulled in direction of its open side, which might seem counter-intuitive.
The magnetic connection attracts my foot to the outer side of the tread, not to the center.
- Ensure that the stirrups are attached properly according to the illustrations on page 11.
- Ensure that the magnetic insoles are placed correctly inside your boots. The Ophena logotype should face upwards, as described above.
The magnetic connection to the stirrups is not strong enough.
- Please keep in mind that the magnetic system has been developed to make the stirrups follow your feet with just the right magnetic strength. It has been designed to work with common riding boots and might be weaker when used with boots with a thicker outsole.
- To strengthen the magnetic connection, ensure that you have taken out any existing insoles from your riding boots. If that does not help and you have a second pair of riding boots, please check whether that one works better.
- We also offer stronger insoles (PLUS), which you can buy here.
The magnetic connection to the stirrups is too strong.
- You can weaken the magnetic connection by increasing the distance between the magnetic insole and the stirrups. You can do so by adding a thin insole below the Ophena insole into your boots