In recent years, the evolution of equestrian fashion has offered riders more options with the advent of sportswear-inspired riding tights, thus breaking the traditional norms of jodhpurs and breeches. Let's break down each of these riding pants, highlighting their advantages and drawbacks.
Jodhpurs are to be worn with short boots like jodhpur or paddock boots.
- Modern versions are made from a comfortable, slightly stretchy fabric.
- Usually fastened at the waist with a zip and button for secure fit.
- Some modern designs use slimmer materials at the bottom for a better design and fit.
- Popular choice for children and essential for junior showing classes.
- The lower leg of traditional jodhpurs is usually too bulky to fit under long boots.
Breeches, closely resembling jodhpurs in terms of fabric, have a shorter leg length (finishing above the ankle) and a contoured fit around the leg.
- Modern designs have elasticated slim bottoms or Velcro fastening, ideal for wearing comfortably beneath long boots or short boots and chaps.
- Full seat or knee grip options enhance stability while in the saddle.
- Available in a range of styles to suit every budget, body type, and shape.
- High waisted styles promote better posture and fit comfortably without slipping down.
- Durable and smart-looking, making them popular among professional riders.
- Essential for competitions as they present a more formal look.
- Season-specific breeches provide comfort in different weather conditions.
- May not be as comfortable as jodhpurs or riding tights for everyday wear.
Riding tights, a trendy choice, offer a sportswear-inspired design akin to gym leggings.
- Made from thinner, stretchier, and more breathable fabric compared to jodhpurs and breeches.
- Lightweight and quick-drying, ideal for hot weather.
- 'Pull on' design with a soft, deep waistband provides a comfortable and secure fit.
- Versatile enough for both on and off the horse, suiting riders with busy lifestyles.
- Technical fabrics make them ideal for keeping cool and wicking away perspiration.
- Typically less expensive than breeches and jodhpurs.
- May not provide the same level of formal appearance as jodhpurs or breeches for competitions or professional settings.
- May require additional layering or specific designs for comfort in colder weather.
Riding Tights by Ophena:
Ophena offers top-quality riding tights for a fair price. They are high-waisted and come with a silicone grip of choice: Full seat, half seat, no grip.
Here are some other advantages:
- 4-way stretch fabric for unmatched comfort and high flexibility
- Quick dry functionality wicks away moisture to keep you cool and comfortable throughout your ride.
- Deep functional pockets
- Conscious design with 82% recycled fabrics
You can purchase them here.